Tuesday, 4 August 2026

Southern Migrant Hawker!

 I've had a few attempts over the last few years to try and spot a Southern Migrant Hawker, without any luck, so today's trip to RSPB Frampton Marsh finally put this species to bed! As you'll see, however, my photos leave a lot to be desired!! Unfortunately, it didn't perch whilst I was there, but the intense blue of the abdomen and eyes were very clear to see "in the field". 


Southern Migrant Hawker (honestly!!)

Whilst on site, I had a walk around the the Reedbed Trail and saw plenty of Yellow Wagtails (mainly juveniles), Spoonbills (7),  Black-tailed Godwits (200+), Dunlin (30+), Ringed Plover (a great flock of c.30 flying over!), Ruff (10+), Avocet (3 adults), Redshank (20+), Spotted Redshank (4, including a Norwegian-ringed bird, flag CEW), Knot (year tick 176) and heard a Greenshank (year tick 177). I also heard Bearded Tits, Goldfinch, Linnets and Meadow Pipits.

No comments:

Post a Comment